Dr. Betty Jean Hancock
Surgery & Consultation
Dr. Hancock completed a Bachelor of Science Honours in Biochemistry (Joint Honours Chemistry and Microbiology) in 1980. She went on to do her medical training at the University of Manitoba, graduating in 1984. She completed a rotating internship at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia between 1984 and 1985. She returned to Winnipeg to complete a Residency in General Surgery at the University of Manitoba between 1985-1990. She subsequently moved to Montreal to complete two Fellowships in Pediatric General Surgery and Pediatric Critical Care Medicine at l’hôpital Sainte Justine.
Dr. Hancock is currently the Section Head of Pediatric General Surgery. She also practices Pediatric Critical Care Medicine at Children’s Hospital and practices at Maples Surgical Centre.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Manitoba Medical Association
- Canadian Association of General Surgeons
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Paediatric Society
- Canadian Critical Care Society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Canadian Association of Pediatric Surgeons (CAPS)
- Bachelor of Science Honours Joint Honours - Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Manitoba
- Doctor of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba
- Rotating Internship, Dalhousie Integrated Internship Program, Dalhousie University
- Residency in General Surgery Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba
- Fellowship in Pediatric Surgery, l'hôpital Sainte-Justine Département de Chir. Pédiatrique Université de Montréal
Achievements & Awards
- Certificate of Recognition, ATLS Subcommittee, American College of Surgeons, Instructor for over 100 courses.
- Nomination for “Most Outstanding Clinician” Teaching Award, Manitoba Medical Students Association
- Nomination for “Teaching Excellence” Teaching Award, Manitoba Medical Student Association