Dr. Darren Klass
MBCHB, MD, MRCS, FRCR, FRCPC
Vascular - Veins, Biopsy / Pathology, Interventional Radiology
Dr. Klass is an interventional radiologist. He obtained his medical degree from the University of Pretoria in South Africa and completed his registrar training at the Norwich Radiology Academy, before completing a fellowship in interventional radiology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
Dr. Klass completed an MD titled Bimodal Electric Tissue Ablation investigating the ablative potential of combining alternating and direct current in the liver. His current interventional practice includes oncology, aortic disease, venous disease. He is the medical head MRI at Vancouver Acute, and his diagnostic interests include CT angiography and MR angiography including imaging complex arterial and venous diseases. Dr. Klass is Level 2 cardiac CT certified. He performed the first transradial radiology procedure in Canada.
Dr. Klass's current research interests include intraprocedural perfusion of liver tumors pre and post intervention and perfusional assessment of tumor response to ablation.
In addition his research interests include transradial intervention outcomes and aortic dissection.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Royal College of Radiologists
- British Society of Interventional Radiology
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Society of Europe
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR)
- Canadian Interventional Radiology Association
- Doctors of BC
- BC Radiological Society
- Fellowship - Royal College of Physicians of Canada - 2013
- Doctor of Medicine (DM) – Bimodal Electric Tissue Ablation University of East Anglia - 2011
- Fellowship - Royal College of Radiologists UK - 2008
- Membership - Royal College of Surgeons of England - 2004
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery - University of Pretoria - 2001
Achievements & Awards
- Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing – CARJ - 2-13
- BSIR Scholarship – BETA - 2010
- Training on a Vascular Interventional Simulator Trainer (VIST™).A Pilot Study. Benjamin Gooch Prize Runner-up - 2006
- Best candidate at CCrISP course (RCS) - 2004
- Protea Prize for top final year student in Internal Medicine - 2001
- Distinctions for Surgery and Internal Medicine in final year - 2001
- Achievement award for 75% aggregate in Medical School - 1996-2001