Dr. Jason Smith
Orthopedic - Elbow, Orthopedic - Shoulder
Dr. Jason Smith is a Royal College Board-Certified Sports Orthopedic Surgeons, with specialization in ligament reconstruction and arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder, elbow and knee. Apart from working at Centric Health Surgical Centre Toronto, Dr. Smith also serves as the Chief of Orthopedics at the Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital and is an Orthopedic Consultant and team doctor for the Toronto Blue Jays.
Dr. Smith holds an undergraduate degree from Princeton University (A.B. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) where he also played division 1 NCAA hockey. Following Princeton he played a year of professional hockey in the Calgary Flames organization (4th round draft pick 1993). Dr. Smith ended his hockey career due to the increasing risks associated with cerebral concussions and attended the University of Calgary Medical School (M.D), where he graduated in 2001. He then completed his Residency in Orthopedic Surgery in 2006 from McGill University. Afterwards he completed a one-year fellowship in Sports Orthopedics with the renowned James Andrews, at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Alabama.
Dr. Smith is one of a small handful of surgeons in Canada who perform the Ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction, also known as Tommy John surgery (TJS) procedure commonly found in those involved in throwing sports like baseball pitchers.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Canadian Orthopedic Association
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Sports Medicine
- Major League Baseball Team Physicians Association
- Fellowship - Sports Orthopaedics, American Sports Medicine Institute, 2007
- Fellowship, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Surgical Residency - Orthopaedics, McGill University, 2006
- Medical Doctorate -Podiatric Medicine, University of Calgary Medical School, 2001
- Bachelors of Arts, Princeton University, 1996
Achievements & Awards
- Among the Small Handful of Surgeons in Canada who Perform the Tommy John Elbow Ligament Reconstruction in Pitchers
- Chief of Orthopaedics at the Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital
- Orthopaedic Consultant and team doctor for the Toronto Blue Jays (since 2008)
- Played a Year of Professional Hockey in the Calgary Flames Organization (4th round draft pick 1993)
- Scientific Researcher/Publisher
- Guest Speaker/Presenter