Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz
Orthopedic, Surgery & Consultation
Orthopedic - Elbow, Orthopedic - Shoulder, Orthopedic - Knee
Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz is a Royal College Certified sports and shoulder surgeon specializing in arthroscopic and open surgeries for shoulder, knee, elbow and sports-associated conditions.
As well as holding a medical degree from the University of Western Ontario, with his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Manitoba, Dr. Slade Shantz completed fellowships in stem cell research and orthopaedic trauma at the University of California, San Francisco and shoulder, elbow and sports surgery at the University of Toronto. His research focuses on technology, simulation and clinical trials. Concurrently, he holds an MBA from the Ivey School of Business at UWO, and advises start-up companies in the digital health field specializing in data use and privacy issues. Dr. Slade Shantz was a co-founder of The Shoulder Centre at Ajax and Pickering hospital, an innovative, patient-centred shoulder treatment centre in Ontario.
Dr. Slade Shantz has focused his career on both being at the cutting edge of surgical techniques and delivering the experience patients expect in terms of communication, punctuality and customer service within the healthcare system. Because of his unique approach Dr. Slade Shantz has been invited to educate other surgeons on current surgical techniques and speak about entrepreneurship and health system transformation.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Canadian Orthopedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Queen’s University - BSc Biochemistry
- University of Western Ontario - MD
- University of Manitoba - Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Western Ontario, Richard Ivey School of Business
- University of California, San Francisco - Fellowship trauma
- University of Toronto - Fellowship sports and shoulder
Achievements & Awards
- Surgical Educator - Arthrex
- The Shoulder Centre - Co-founder
- Reviewer - Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, Journal of Orthopedic Trauma
- Publications - 19 peer reviewed publications and 4 book chapters