Dr. Sagar J. Desai
BSc, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Surgery & Consultation, Orthopedic
Orthopedic - Foot & Ankle, Orthopedic - Toe & Foot / Podiatry
Dr. Sagar J. Desai is a certified orthopaedic surgeon with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC). He began his education at Western University in London, Ontario, where he completed his Honours Bachelor of Science (HBSc) degree in Kinesiology. He then completed his Medical Degree (MD) at the University of Toronto, in Toronto, Ontario.
Dr. Desai subsequently attended Western University for his Orthopaedic Surgery residency. He completed his residency in 2013 and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC). During his residency, Dr. Desai concurrently completed a Masters in Science (MSc) in Medical Biophysics. This Masters focused on orthopaedic biomechanics, joint kinematics and surgical implant design.
Following his residency Dr. Desai completed two accredited sub-specialty fellowships. The first fellowship was completed in Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at the University of Toronto. The second was an AO Trauma accredited fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto.
Dr. Desai is currently a Trauma/Foot and Ankle surgeon at Humber River Hospital in Toronto, as well as a senior orthopaedic consultant at Medcan Clinic in Toronto, Ontario.
Academically, he is involved in surgical education and research. He is involved with several multi-center randomized controlled trials in orthopaedic trauma. He has published numerous peer-review studies and textbook chapters in both orthopaedic trauma as well as foot and ankle reconstruction. He is an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto and an Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Queen’s University.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Ontario Medical Association (OMA)
- Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA)
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC)
- Medical Council of Canada (MCC)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Canadian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (COFAS)
- AO Trauma North America (AOTNA)
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS)
- 2000-2004 Honours Bachelor of Sciences (HBSc) in Kinesiology - University of Western Ontario (UWO), London, Ontario
- 2004-2008 Doctor of Medicine (MD) - University of Toronto Medical School, Toronto, Ontario
- 2008-2013 Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC) - Orthopaedic Surgery - University of Western Ontario (UWO), London, Ontario
- 2012-2014 Masters of Science (MSc) - Medical Biophysics - University of Western Ontario (UWO), London, Ontario
- 2013-2014 Clinical Fellowship, Foot and Ankle Reconstruction- University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2014-2015 Clinical Fellowship, Orthopaedic Trauma - Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario
Achievements & Awards
- 2015 UofT Fellow Teaching Award – Teaching award given to clinical fellow voted by UofT orthopaedic residents
- 2014 Alan C. Groom Seminar Award Nominee – Top Medical Biophysics Presentation at Graduate Seminar
- 2012 AOA-OREF Resident Leadership Award – Top PGY 4 resident, elected by the UWO Orthopaedic Surgery Division.
- 2011 W. H. Bailey Award – UWO Orthopaedic Surgery resident who best exemplifies teaching and mentorship to fellow residents and students.
- 2011 Resident/Fellow Research Travel Award – For presentation of research at the 2011 Canadian Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting.
- 2010 Sandy Kirkley Clinical Research Award – Top clinical research at UWO’s Annual Research Day, October 13th, 2010.
- 2009 Craig Boydell Award - Excellence in sport, scholarship and community service. Has been presented to 7 members of the Western Mustangs Basketball program (since 1919).
- 2008 Mary Cassidy Award – Participation in extra-curricular activities during medical school.
- 2008 Medical Society Honours Award – For serving as Class President during medical school.
- 2008 Gladwin-Ridings Memorial Scholarship – 3rd year medical student who possesses good academic standing, practicality, modesty, sensitivity and reverence for human life.
- 2006 Robert J. Ginsberg Research Award – Top research project at the 2006 Canadian Association of Thoracic Surgeons Conference, Calgary, Alberta.
- 2006 Canadian Medical Association (CMA) 2006 Leadership Innovation Award – Development of Medical Fitness Initiative: “Practice What You Preach” Promoting a Healthy and Active Lifestyle for medical students and residents.
- 2006 Comprehensive Research Experience for Medical Students (CREMS) Summer Scholarship - Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy – Closed-Chested Dissection Technique and Initial Results.
- 2005 Dr. Jean Hogarth Scholarship – University of Toronto Medical School – Academic achievement and extra-curricular activities.
- 2005 UWO Kinesiology 494: Sport and Community Service – Fourth year Kinesiology course founder.
- 2004 Team Captain – 2003-2004 Western Varsity Men’s basketball team.
- 2004 Honourable G. Howard Ferguson Award – Top UWO graduating student combining athletics, academics, and contribution to college life.
- 2004 Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Top 8 Academic All-Canadian – Top 8 varsity athletes in Canada who best combine athletics, academics, and community service.
- 2004 Kinesiology Student of Excellence Award – Greatest overall contribution to UWO Kinesiology.
- 2004 Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Ken Shields Award – Top Ontario varsity basketball player combining athletics, academics and community service.
- 2004 Henry Wu Memorial Scholarship – Top UWO student combining extracurricular activities and academic achievement.
- 2004 Scholar’s Electives Scholarship – Top UWO student combining extracurricular activities, leadership.
- 2004 Dean’s Honour List – Academic achievement in Kinesiology Bachelor of Science program at the UWO (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).
- 2004 Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Academic All-Canadian Roll – Varsity athletics and 80% academic average (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).
- 2004 Ontario University Athletics Academic Achievement Award – OUA varsity athletics, 80% plus academic average in Honours program (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).
- 2004 School of Kinesiology Honours Award – 80% plus academic average in UWO Kinesiology Program (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).
- 2003 Bronze “W” Award – UWO varsity athlete who has exhibited commitment and dedication to the varsity athletics program.
- 2003 Gordon Risk Award – Top UWO student-athlete combining academic achievement and athletic leadership.
- 2003 Bob Gage Award – Top UWO student-athlete combining athletic leadership and academic achievement.
- 2001 Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Championship – Western Mustangs Men’s Basketball team (2000-2001, 2001-2002)
- 2001 Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West Division Championship – Western Mustangs Men’s Basketball team (2000-2001, 2001-2002)
- 2001 UWO School Letter – UWO student combining academic and athletic commitment.
- 2000 UWO Academic Entrance Scholarship – High school academic average over 90%.