Dr. WJE (Charlie) Smit
Medical Director, MD, MBChB MsC Sport CIME
Health Assessments, General Practice (GP)
Family Physicians, Health Assessments
Dr. WJE (Charlie) Smit is the Medical Director at False Creek Healthcare Centre’s Family Practice and Health Assessments Department. Since 1991, Dr. Smit has practiced in the field of General Family Medicine, with post-graduate qualifications, expertise and experience in the field of Independent Medical Assessments, Disability Medicine, Occupational Medicine, Sport Medicine and Medical Legal Report writing.
He received his medical degree from the University of Pretoria in South Africa, and also obtained his Masters of Science degree in Sports Medicine from the same university. He is currently pursuing a Masters Diploma in Medical Legal and Insurance Medicine from the University of Montreal. He was the founder and developer of the Glynview Psychiatric Hospital, Medicross Medical Facility and Fairview Medical Suites. He has also been instrumental to the development of the Leboneng Private Hospital in South Africa.
Dr. Smit relocated to Canada in 2009, practicing as a General Medical Practitioner in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, where he was part owner of the Caledonian Clinic. Since relocating to Vancouver, he has also assumed part ownership of the Clayton Medical Centre, Triton Medical Centre, Pemberton Medical Centre, and Careplace Medical Centre. In 2017, he launched the TriMedical Assessment Centre based in Surrey, BC.
He has worked with leading healthcare companies including Medisys, TriMedical and Triton Medical Center, LifeMark, Back in Motion, Work Safe BC and as an Independent Medical Assessor for insurers and legal professionals.
- 1989 - MBChB from the Faculty of Medicine (University of Pretoria)
- 1999 - Masters of Science degree in Sports Medicine (University of Pretoria)
Achievements & Awards
- 29 years' experience diagnosing and treating patients with soft tissue and orthopedic injuries
- Provides occupational health services as Medical Director of TriMedical Assessment & Rehabilitation Centre
- Provides Independent Medical Legal Assessments for clients
- MARP Assessor for WorkSafeBC
- Registered with the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners